The following guidelines will assist you if ongoing post surgical bleeding is noted:
1. DO NOT (vigorously and repeatedly) rinse your mouth more than once an hour. This promotes more bleeding and less blood clot formation.
2. DO NOT dab or swab the area repeatedly. This will also inhibit adequate blood clot formation.
3. Make a cup of concentrated iced tea (3 tea bags into large cup of boiling water) and let the teabags draw for 3 minutes. Let the solution cool to room temperature.
4. Take a piece of gauze (provided by our office), roll it into a small sausage and moisten it with the iced tea.
5. If the bleeding is noted on the outside surface of the teeth, gently tuck the roll between the lip and the bleeding site. Place firm pressure on the outside
aspect of your face for 15- 20 minutes.DO NOT disturb the gauze. Do not pull your lip firmly outward.
6. If the bleeding is noted on the inside aspect of your mouth, position the moistened tea gauze over the area and firmly press onto this gauze with your
thumb for 15-20 minutes.
7. This procedure may be needed 3-4 times at 20-30 minute intervals, each time changing the blood soaked gauze with fresh gauze, saturated with tea.
8. If you run out of gauze, use an old, clean t-shirt, cut it up into 2 inch x 2 inch squares and proceed as listed above.
9. Obviously, call Dr. Richman at (404)784-7272 if problems persist.
Contact us/Schedule an appointment
Please click here to fill out our online appointment request form.